It's been a long season for Michigan basketball fans and it was good to see the Wolverines finally get a win on Wednesday night.
For once, Michigan basketball was able to make a half-time lead stick and they earned a 72-68 win over 11th-ranked Wisconsin. The Wolverines got just their eighth win of the season and there was no magic formula.
Michigan basketball played some of its best defense of the season. Wisconsin made just five 3-pointers and shot fewer free throws. The turnover battle was near even -- 12 for Michigan basketball and 11 for the Badgers, but the Wolverines dominated on the boards (34-22). They even won the offensive rebounding battle and they also didn't fall apart down the stretch.
There were times when Michigan could have fallen apart too. The Badgers even grabbed the lead in the second half after trailing by five at the break, but the Wolverines didn't wilt and they notched their most impressive win of the season. Here are the gut reactions.
Gut reactions from Michigan basketball upset of Wisconsin
- Defense and rebounding are still the keys to winning basketball games. Who would have thought?
- Michigan finally executed in those areas on Thursday night. Win the rebounding battle against Wisconsin, as well as the 3-point battle and you will win the game most of the time.
- One game won't change the decision on Juwan Howard. A few more wins like this could though.
- This sort of makes you think, what if? What if this team didn't blow so many second-half leads?
- Good to see Juwan Howard get a win. He needed it. The entire program did.
- Tarris Reed and Olivier Nkamhoua allowed the Wolverines to beat the Badgers at their own game.
- Michigan doesn't win this game without Will Tschetter's two second-half 3-pointers. Absolutely huge. He had 11 points and two rebounds in 20 minutes.
- It's just one win, but damn it feels good. Go Blue!