It’s on the mind of every basketball fan in the state of Michigan. Is it possible? Could one state simply dominate the college basketball landscape? It has happened only twice before, in both 1961 and 1962 with Ohio State and Cincinnati. But the sport has evolved since then, and the amount of parody in college basketball in absurd. I mean, the best basketball team in Kansas this year wasn’t the University of Kansas, it was Wichita State, how weird is that? So here it is: What if Michigan and Michigan State met in the 2014 National Title game?
Florida and Wisconsin have already punched their tickets to the Final Four, while Michigan and Michigan State play today in an attempt to join them. Michigan is going against eight seed Kentucky, who is loaded with talent and playing as well as anybody in the country right now. Michigan State will go against Connecticut and electric guard Shabazz Napier (definitely on the all name team). We’re going to pretend both of the Michigan teams win today, and then advance past the Final Four and into the championship game. What would the ramifications be? How would this game play out? How many fist fights would break out at the local Denny’s? Let’s take a look at some facts:
Michigan: Good at basketball
1. Michigan has hit 25 three pointers in the past two games.
2. That is a lot of threes.
3. Jordan Morgan is playing his best basketball of the season. He led the team in points AND rebounds in the win against Tennessee.
4. Michigan beat Michigan State twice during the regular season.
Michigan State: Also good at basketball
1. Power forward Branden Dawson is leading the tournament in points in the paint.
2. Michigan State held Virginia to 35% shooting.
3. Tom Izzo basically has a timeshare at the Final Four
5. President Barack Obama also picked Michigan State to win the championship. He has only ever picked the national champion correctly once.
Who would be the winner of the fourth match-up between Michigan and Michigan State? Would John Beilein secure his first National Championship or would Tom Izzo and his Spartans bring home the trophy once again? Could Andrew Dakich bring home tournament MVP? Before we get to the poll let’s take a look at last weeks results. What if Michigan could choose to add either Trey Burke or Mitch McGary to finish off the NCAA Tournament?
62%: Mitch McGary. Michigan could really use the rebounding and scoring down low.
23%: Trey Burke. Guard play in the tournament is most important.
11%: Why isn’t Zack Novak an option?
4%: WHY ISN’T THIS REAL LIFE???
Michigan and Michigan State meet in the National Championship. Both teams have proved that they have the talent and coaching to win it all. What do you think would happen? Cast your vote down below and don’t forget to follow me on twitter @gbMWint.