Michigan Football: Thoughts on Dave Brandon
On the discussion about David Brandon
1) First let me state that I am a big fan of David Brandon. I have known him for a long time and dealt with him in his pre-UM days in business.
2) There are many different types of AD’s and to me David Brandon is the type of AD UM needs.3) Because Brandon comes from a business background, he understands the concept of being in a “results oriented” business. I suggest everyone take time and listen to his answers yesterday when talking to the press. It will give you a very good idea of what is and will be happening within not only the football program, but throughout all sports at UM.
4) When he said that “seven and six” was not acceptable for UM football, that should tell you all you need to know. Sure, UM offers some advantages to coaches more of a family atmosphere, etc., but the bottom line is results.
5) I keep mentioning that “fine line” and that line exists when it comes to relationships between “coach and management”. Brandon supports Hoke, as any manager should, but he will not allow that line to be crossed that if he has to make a tough decision he can and will. Many times AD’s get way too close with coaches and there are times when changes are made, the AD, because of crossing that line is fired along with the coach. That will not be the case at UM.6) Brandon will allow Hoke to run “his program”. For those who are critical that Brandon is too involved just does not know the real relationship. However, the ability to run your program comes with some big responsibilities Hoke is eventually held accountable and that is the way it should be.
7) As I have mentioned (and this is my opinion) this year was one of those years where I think when Hoke evaluates (and he has probably already done this) that he will come to the conclusion that certain things need to be changed including making the overall program tougher and Hoke taking more of a direct role in all decisions. And probably more important a message needs to be sent to players that certain behavior will no longer be tolerated (I believe some of this was covered in their first team meeting).
8) Was there some dissension this year? Of course, but it is only natural for a team who is struggling and even more natural when you have so many younger players who think because of lack of depth they should be playing. And when you lose things can get away from you quickly and it is tough to get everyone back on the same page. How do you prevent this from happening in the future? You establish a culture that awards great behavior and success and makes sure people are held accountable who deviates from accepted behavior—and you are tough and consistent. Hoke knows this it will happen.
9) As far as the media, I get the criticism of Brandon. Some think he should stay away from press. This can be debated and I understand both sides. But in terms of where David Brandon stands, where his thoughts are, just listen to his remarks it will tell you everything you need to know.
One more comment for those who think people are negative (including myself) towards UM football, just remember the feelings and thoughts inside the Fort right now are far more intense than any of us could discuss on this board. Everyone realizes what happened is not acceptable at any level. You can use any excuse you want it still does not explain the Conn and Akron games. I would not call it panic mode, but it is pretty serious the mood within the program.
Please comment on our GBMWolverine Message Board about this article and read what others comment and give us your thoughts, agree or disagree.
Just a reminder you must be a member to participate on the Message Board. Here is the link GBMWolverine Register for those people interested in becoming a member.
You can contact us at our e-mail address: GBMWolverine
Written by GBMWolverine Staff — MaizeMan
Go Blue — Wear Maize!