Michigan Football: Tidbits from MaizeMan — Shane Morris
This is a small sample of MaizeMan’s post on the message board.
1) Arm strength, he can throw all the tough passes and he seems to have more confidence the deeper the throw.2) This may sound goofy, but Shane seems to look much smoother with the most fundamental parts of being a QB, like simply handing the ball off to the RB. I just could not understand for most of the year why it seemed to take so long for Gardner to get the ball to the RB, now I think I understand that Gardner is just not comfortable under center where Shane gets the ball to the RB much quicker and the running game seems faster (not sure that makes sense).
I actually saw Shane throw to a secondary or a receiver who was not the primary target. This is big news, not sure except for scrambling situations I saw this all year.
4) Shane is more athletic that people think and while he wont set any rushing records, I think he will have the ability at times to pick up first downs if he has to with his legs.
5) He really understands even as a freshman how to throw in rhythm or another way of explaining he seems to have that internal clock, he gets rid of the ball.
Remember they do not hit the QB in practice so we will have to see if he does this in games.
Shane’s Weakness:1) Just the overall speed of the game. Although as I stated above he can make the throws he now has to understand the difference between “making a throw” and “being able to successful complete the pass”. I call this the “Stafford issue”. Stafford throws the ball as well as anyone, but he just wont or is not capable of just completing at times the simplest of throws.
2) Going off #1 and stated above, he needs to understand when to drill the ball into space and when to throw the ball with touch. This is not uncommon for freshman QB’s and I think this is the area where we see the most improvement in off-season, but he reverts to throwing at times instead of passing.
3) Needs to learn (again a freshman issue) to be more patient in pocket.
To read the entire post on the message board, please visit the message board!
Come to the message board and give us your thoughts, agree or disagree.
Just a reminder you must be a member to participate on the Message Board. Here is the link for the registration page for those people interested in becoming a GBMWolverine member of our message board. GBMWolverine Register.
Please comment on our GBMWolverine Message Board about this article and read what others comment. Make note that our message board has changed so make sure you change your favorite/bookmark as well for the direct link.
You can contact us at our e-mail address: GBMWolverine
Written by GBMWolverine Staff — MaizeMan
Go Blue — Wear Maize!