Michigan Football: Tidbits from MaizeMan — Odds and Ends
1) Here is my take on the Dawson recruiting situation. While some believe Coach Hoke has caved I take another view. My understanding is when kids commit to Michigan they are told “Do not commit if you feel the need to take other visits” … “If you do we will no longer consider you a commit.” Now, that does not mean that Michigan after considering that kid a de-commit will not attempt to re-recruit the player again.
2) From what I understand, this years football group seems to be in very good position in terms of grades going into the finals next week. There are just a few kids who have a class that is in jeopardy, but they can recover. Those classes have been identified and there have been some help put in place to get those kids over the hump.
However, it must be noted that there are a couple kids that this has been a recurring problem and patience has pretty much worn out. It comes a point where kids need to take responsibility for their own time instead of having someone dictate time management. Messages are being sent.
4) Williams, Bolden, Ross, Pipkins, Funchess, Mario. Those are the freshman who had the most snaps this year as true freshman. Wilson and Norfleet are two others that received some snaps in specialized situations.
5) I still maintain the biggest concern in the off-season is defensively upgrading our safety position.
My pick for the best incoming freshman are:
Kugler red-shirts. Lewis plays.
Where he plays is a question. But I think he sees significant snaps next year. My initial thoughts are he plays offense. He just is too explosive and may become our most explosive offensive player when he arrives. Of all the positions, WR or slot are the easiest for incoming freshman to adjust. However, if somehow we keep Conley, then I think Lewis may become that #3 CB.7) Behind the scenes, it sound like Gardner is ready to take over the leadership role of Michigan offense next year. I am not talking about being the quarterback, but being a leader “off the field”. This is a big change for Gardner who spent about a year and a half being somewhat passive to say the least. This could be the biggest news of the off-season. If Gardner is able to refine and improve his fundamentals and technique along with being very studious in the film room this could be a good sign for Team 134.
8) One good comment I heard from a source “this years scout team was the hardest working group I have seen in years”. He was talking about the freshman group and besides the OL and DL group, the one player he is excited to see in spring … Chesson.
Come to the message board to see the entire post by MaizeMan on Odds and Ends which includes information about Pipkins, Mario, Funchess, Ash, Bryant, the identity of the football program , the defensive unit especially the safeties … agree or disagree.
Just a reminder you must be a member to participate on the Message Board. Here is the link for the registration page for those people interested in becoming a GBMWolverine member of our message board. GBMWolverine Register.
Please comment on our GBMWolverine Message Board about this article and read what others comment.
You can contact us at our e-mail address: GBMWolverine
Written by GBMWolverine Staff — MaizeMan
Go Blue — Wear Maize!