Michigan Football: Tidbits from MaizeMan — Stuff
Its Wednesday and historically the toughest practice of the week. This week, however, intensity this week started a day early.
1) Gardner is now getting majority of snaps at quarterback. So far, more of the same when it comes to Gardner at quarterback. Gardner can run all the plays they run for Denard, the biggest issue is when Gardner goes back to pass. He gives up way too early on routes, cannot (at least it is hard to tell) throw to anyone except the primary receiver and he tucks the ball and just starts running. Coaches have tried to get him to keep his head up when scrambling, but he just has not been able to do this consistently.2) Darboh — We could see some additional snaps this weekend, even though Gardner will still be used as a wide receiver, he will be limited in snaps (especially early in the game) just in case Denard injury lingers during the game. As of now, not sure what has happened with J-Robinson, it has to be either injury issue or he has reverted back to some consistency in terms of practice performance.
3) Mattison has discussed his concern about lack of communication, but he was really not happy with Nebraska’s ability to rush the edge something that Mattison and coaches has been emphasizing and working on since last year. Ryan, who has been our best player, took the brunt of the criticism and was told so both in film work and practice.
4) A loss like Nebraska makes coaches analyze everything they are doing, I expect one of our best efforts Saturday defensively and I expect some obvious changes on offense. NOT in terms of scheme, but in terms of players used. Assuming Rawls is OK (possible shoulder) he will get more snaps with Hayes also seeing the field. Still expect V. Smith to play, but will probably be relegated to more of a third down back.
5) In addition, unless they have to, I expect less runs for Denard, so to compensate I expect more wide receiver screens, more passes to running back’s, more use of tight end, and quick slants. Now, if game is tight coaches understand they have to win this game and all bets are off.6) Does Michigan have talent? This has been an argument people who have attending practices have been discussing for almost five years. There is a difference between having bodies on the field and those bodies being talented enough to win championships. To me, this team lacks great talent, they lack enough size and especially speed, and they lack enough Michigan type of offensive line’s. So, the key is to get the most out of the talent you have. And right now I am satisfied they are.
I do have issues with the approach at times on offense especially our second down calls and of course our red-zone offense. But it was interesting that today, Hoke said it was not a scheme issue (something I disagree with) it was an execution issue. Problem I have is that our red-zone offense has been bad all year, not just in this one game.
Sometimes coaches say stuff that they don’t really mean or they don’t want to advertise they are making changes. I cannot believe there wont be some adjustments scheme wise.
7) Minnesota game is big, we have to win, then I think we have a very tough game against Northwestern. Iowa to me is a sure win, but Northwestern is going to give us some problems.
8) Notice that Cam Gordon was awarded more snaps against Nebraska. This was for a couple reasons. One, they are playing Ryan more and more with his hand down and they also played Mario some snaps, but he got a little banged up so Gordon replaced Ryan at times, but he also was on the field with Ryan on other snaps. Gordon has really showed a great attitude in practice and has really played well when given a chance.
9) Conley (IMO) was a big loss.
Come to the message board and give us your thoughts, agree or disagree.
Just a reminder you must be a member to participate on the Message Board. Here is the link for the registration page for those people interested in becoming a GBMWolverine member of our message board. GBMWolverine Register.
Please comment on our GBMWolverine Message Board about this article and read what others comment.
You can contact us at our e-mail address: GBMWolverine
Written by GBMWolverine Staff — MaizeMan
Go Blue — Wear Maize!