Michigan Football: Tidbits from MaizeMan — Odds and Ends
After watching the tape:
1. Our running back’s are getting very few yards after initial hit. In fact, I do not think I have ever seen a season in which our running back’s either go sideways after hit r go backwards. I know at times it is because they are running sideways, but it is not always the case.
2. Also do not understand why we continue to run Vincent Smith wide.
3. When Bellomy was brought into the game, Michigan ran some very basics routes that were easily defended. While in most games when watching tape it looks like wide receiver’s are open quite often, not the case against Nebraska. They simply were smothered and coupled with Nebraska blitzing on almost every down, Bellomy had no where to go.
4. We just do not use our tight end’s like I thought we would early in the season. We did keep the tight end on numerous occasions to block Nebraska blitzes, we just don’t use tight end to offset blitzes or making their linebacker’s defend the whole field.
5. Our defense either ran out of gas or lost its aggressiveness in the fourth quarter. I am sure this is going to be addressed in practices this week.
6. This was Roh’s best game.
7. Not only do our wide receiver’s “round off” routes numerous times, but it takes them forever to run them even when opposing cornerback’s are not checking us at the line of scrimmage. It is almost like they don’t think they will get the ball. This needs to be addressed.
8. What is up with our second down play calling. This has been a theme all year. There are numerous occasions in which Michigan gains 4-5 yards on first down which puts us in a perfect situation for second down and it is those downs that we have the most tackles for loss offensively.9. Not to beat a dead horse, but this offense plays with no rhythm – none. Almost every play is very slow developing including our passing game. There are few timing routes which I think would be essential considering our quarterback’s and even when we do run from the power-I it still is slow. I know they watch the film. Is this just me or do others agree?
10. Fitz a year ago was effective because later in the year there was a big improvement with his “vision”. What happened? Maybe it is a lack of confidence, but twice in Nebraska game he actually ran right into our offensive linemen who was attempting to make a block.
11. Q-Washington just gets better every week, and kudos to Black, who was losing snaps, but is now emerging as a very good defensive tackle. Our defensive line next year is going to be very good.
12. Have to give Martinez some credit. He still has horrible fundamentals when passing, but his hard work has really paid off. He made some very good throws. He is getting some good coaching.
13. With Clark out, Mario played a lot more snaps.
14. Our lack of speed at safety hurt us in this game.
15. Am sure Mattison was not happy with Nebraska ability to run the edge.16. I have heard Hoke talk in clinics and when he is just around people/other coaches he really likes to talk about what Michigan football is all about. Winning the game on both sides of the ball at the point of attack/line of scrimmage. I am sure he knows this is not happening on offense. What is important at this point is coaches DO NOT throw any kids under bus that was prevalent with last regime. Coaches need to take full responsibility and make sure this lack of direction on offense changes immediately.
17. Prediction: Lewan wont be back next year. It makes too much sense for him to leave.
18. Michigan needs to get more from their kick off return team. Norfleet has numerous chances and seemed to make some bad decisions when making cuts.
19. So far in 2012, the most improved part of this team is our ability to stop the run, inside. This was a huge question mark after spring practices, but with the improvement of Q-Washington, Big Will, Black, and even Pipkins, its tough to run up the gut on Michigan.
20. If we have to move forward with Bellomy, he is much more effective throwing when rolling out, might want to bring back the “waggle”.
Will discuss more in chat tonight so you might want to join chat tonight at 8:00pm eastern time.
Come to the message board and give us your thoughts, agree or disagree.
Just a reminder you must be a member to participate on the Message Board. Here is the link for the registration page for those people interested in becoming a GBMWolverine member of our message board. GBMWolverine Register.
Please comment on our GBMWolverine Message Board about this article and read what others comment.
You can contact us at our e-mail address: GBMWolverine
Written by GBMWolverine Staff — MaizeMan
Go Blue — Wear Maize!