Michigan basketball drops another close game on the road, which has been an all too familiar feeling for the Wolverines the past two seasons.
Here we go again with the close games. You were hoping that it would be just a one-year deal for Michigan basketball, but the Wolverines dropped another heartbreaker, in overtime on Saturday to the Oregon Ducks, 86-83.
Oregon drilled a 3-pointer with just over a second left in overtime to put the final nail in the coffin. But Michigan basketball had plenty of chances to seal the win and wasted another epic performance from Dug McDaniel who scored 33 points and made seven 3-pointers.
One of those put the Wolverines up in the final minute. Olivier Nkamhoua then had 1/1 at the free throw line to put Michigan up three and missed. He got another chance after a steal and went 1/2.
Nkamhoua did hit a big shot in overtime but missing free throws is how you lose games like that. Now, instead of a season-defining win, one that could give this team a huge boost of confidence going into Big Ten play this week, Michigan basketball is 4-4 and still searching for answers.
Here are the gut reactions.
Gut reactions to Michigan basketball loss to Oregon
- You can’t miss free throws and turn the ball over in the last minute if you want to win games like that.
- This isn’t the first big-time performance by Dug McDaniel that the Wolverines have wasted.
- The defense still isn’t good enough. There were too many open looks, like the one that should have ended the game in regulation.
- You can’t criticize the effort — these guys are battling.
- They just have to learn to win.
- Dug needs some help though, especially at the end of the game.
- I don’t know where that help if coming from though.
- This team needs a win this week in the worst way.
- Indiana at home on Tuesday is a must-win.
- Go Blue!