Just when it looked like Michigan basketball was going to be a bright spot, the Wolverines suffered a brutal loss at home.
I’ll be honest, there’s part of me that just wanted to turn off the computer and go to bed after Michigan basketball’s loss to Long Beach State on Friday night.
It’s been a rough day for Wolverines fans. Hell, it’s been a rough couple of weeks. The Michigan basketball team was supposed to be a positive distraction on Friday night.
And for a while, it looked like that’s how it was going to play out. The Wolverines built a 16-point lead in the first half. Tray Jackson came out on fire and so did Dug McDaniel.
However, scoring is only part of the game. Michigan baskeball didn’t do a very good job of defending in transition and also didn’t protect the rim. The offense also cooled off.
The offense was supposed to be the issue for this Michigan basketball team, but it’s clear that scoring points won’t be a problem. Stopping others and rebounding apparently will be. Here are the gut reactions to the 94-86 loss to Long Beach State.
Gut reactions to Michigan basketball loss to Long Beach State
- Dug McDaniel has been lights out on offense, but the defense hasn’t improved much and that’s one thing we need to see — soon.
- Tray Jackson had a good night shooting it, but again not much defense.
- This team needs Juwan Howard.
- How did we think this team was going to be good on defense?
- Why is rebounding an issue? Against Long Beach State?
- Michigan turned the ball over too much and you can see how badly this team needs another guard to take pressure off of Dug.
- The free-throw shooting made me sick.
- The effort wasn’t great at times and at key moments.
- It’s not the end of the season. But it’s bitterly disappointing.