Michigan Wolverine Football: Early Observations
It is so early in camp that it is important not to take anything too seriously at this point. but—some early observations.
This point is not to discuss who should be playing although I believe Gardner will be the quarterback this year barring injury. This is a comment on Coach Doug Nussmeier who may or may not be an upgrade when it comes to being offensive coordinator, but there is no doubt our quarterback’s are really being “coached up” in terms of using the proper fundamentals. Now, I am with most that proof will come when Gardner shows improvement in games, but the difference between the amount of attention our quarterback’s receive under Coach Nuss vs. Borges in obvious.A year ago, Borges was more of the type of coach that was concerned about whether the quarterback was executing a certain play. Coach Nuss is much more detailed in his approach to footwork, throwing passes a certain way taking more chances of down-field throws, how to use touch on passes out of the backfield, etc…
2) I guess I need to not count out Jack Miller when it comes to listing the top offensive linemen on the team. He is a much improved player vs. a year ago.
3) Maurice Hurst to me looks like he needs to get multiple snaps this season. He is our quickest defensive tackle by far.
4) Cornerback is between three players, Blake Countess looks much quicker, Jourdan Lewis now plays with confidence, but Raymon Taylor is a tough kid.
5) Anybody else think the scrimmage that will be open to the public announced the other day, idea came from Brandon.
6) When it comes to depth, to me the defensive line is where we are the deepest. It is going to be tough to get enough snaps for everyone. And to make it even tougher, in certain passing situations you could see Mario Ojemudia and Frank Clark on the field at the same time.7) Okay, I am going on record as saying this team has talent, some could argue young talent. But, if we see any sort of repeat of a year ago, what I mean is teams with less talent challenging Michigan, then the coaching staff is going to have to take responsibility. The recruiting has been good, our S&C program is fine, so it is now on Coach Hoke and company to put in place the right schemes and motivation for this team to succeed.
8) One play I really like, that probably will be on second team, but be a big part of ST’s is Jeremy Clark. I remember when he was being recruiting as a grey-shirt. This kid could play for a lot of programs and if Jarrod Wilson gets injured at safety, Clark could end up playing a big role this year.
9) I still think Kenny Allen is our best punter.
Please comment on our GBMWolverine Message Board about this article and read what others comment and give us your thoughts, agree or disagree.
Just a reminder you must be a member to participate on the Message Board. Here is the link GBMWolverine Register for those people interested in becoming a member.
You can contact us at our e-mail address: GBMWolverine
Written by GBMWolverine Staff — MaizeMan
Go Blue — Wear Maize!