With Michigan’s drumming of Texas on Saturday, they advance to the Sweet 16 for the second straight year. After being crowned Big Ten champions, this Michigan squad is certainly firing on all cylinders. They are far from perfect though, and will have to play very well to return to the Final 4 once again. But what if they were able to get a little help? What if we lived in another dimension where back injuries didn’t exist or National Players of the Year didn’t head to the NBA? What if Michigan could choose to add either Trey Burke or Mitch McGary to finish off the NCAA Tournament?
Which player do you think would help their chances the most? Here are some facts to help you with your decision.
1. During Burke’s sophomore year he averaged 18.6 points, 6.7 assists, and 1.6 steals per game while shooting 46.3 percent.
2. Freshman point guard Derrick Walton Jr. is averaging 8.1 points, 2.9 assists, 0.6 steals while shooting 43.3 percent.
3. Burke is averaging 12.8 points, 5.3 assists, and 3 rebounds for the Utah Jazz this season.
5. And this.
1. Mitch McGary averaged 9.5 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 steals, and 1.5 assists while shooting 54.5 percent in the few games he played this season.
2. McGary also averaged 17.5 points and 11.5 rebounds in last years NCAA tournament.
3. During last years tournament game against Kansas, McGary (25 points 14 rebounds) outperformed Kansas All-American big man Jeff Withey (12 points 8 rebounds) by a wide margin.
4. Michigan averaged 31.9 rebounds this season, good for 303rd (!) in the nation.
So what do you think? Would an All-American point guard or an All-American big man be more beneficial for Michigan moving forward. If you could pick one, and only one, to add to Michigan’s roster, which would it be? Before we get to the poll, let’s take a look at the results of last weeks Weekly What-if. Is Michigan turning into a basketball school?
49%: I truly think Michigan can be a “both” school
23%: Michigan will always, always, always be a football school
14%: No way. Football is still on top
6%: Soccer anyone?
Michigan’s basketball team is good, nobody can argue that. But let’s pretend for a moment that we were given the opportunity to add a player to the team. Which one would it be, Trey Burke or Mitch McGary? Trey adds the dynamic point guard component that tends to thrive in tournament play, while Mitch adds a big body with a skill set that is very difficult to defend. You’re the boss…who will it be? Cast your vote down below and drop me a line on twitter @gbMWint.
(Sorry about the wonky poll format, we’re looking into fixing it.)